One of the important things about making long sailing trips is to be flexible about many things, including the course and destination :). Today we changed course. We were heading towards South Africa, and are now heading towards South America. This was a result of the roller-furler (device that rolls up the sails when you don’t want to use them) for the trinquette (fore-staysail) failing. There are three roller-furlers on this boat. One roller-furler failed in the Canaries and was replaced. At the time, I tried to replace all three furlers, but the supplier only had one in stock, and there were problems and delays getting them delivered to the Canaries. I was in the process of ordering two new furlers for delivery to South Africa when this one failed. Because we are currently much closer to South America than Africa, and because the sail which this furler handles is the sail used most for heavy-weather (the farther south you get into the Southern Ocean, the windier it gets), it seemed best to head for South America, rather than continuing with the original plan to South Africa. Exactly where in South America we are headed now is still under investigation. It depends on things like wind, repair facilities, parts availability and visa requirements.